How can we help you...

Scheme of Assistance Grants

The Private Sector Housing Unit provides advice to the public on the availability of scheme of assistance grants and also administers the process of approving grant applications and making payment of grants.

Grants Currently Available (As at 1 Feb 2017):

Adaptations for people with disabilities:
A grant at a minimum of 80% of eligible costs may be available to adapt an existing private house to meet the needs of an occupant who is disabled. A grant of 100% may be available dependent upon qualification through certain benefits.

In the first instance the applicant must contact the Bon Accord Care Occupational Therapy Service to ensure that they are fully assessed as to their personal requirements.

For further details on accessing this grant please contact:

Duty Occupational Therapist
Bon Accord Care
1st Floor
Inspire Building
Beach Boulevard
AB24 5HP
Tel: 01224 570440

If applicants require details on the grant itself please see the contacts below.

Assistance may also be offered in relation to Council & Housing Association tenants through a different financial arrangement but again the Duty Occupational Therapist should be contacted in the first instance at the number given above.

The Scottish Government have published a leaflet "Help with Adaptations to Your Home" aimed at disabled people living in private housing in Scotland. The leaflet summarises the changes to the system of financial assistance with adaptations introduced on 1st April 2009 and is available as a downloadable form on the right hand menu.

Private Water Supplies

A grant may be available on remedial works relating to non-mains private water supplies which are deemed not to comply with the Private Water Supplies (Scotland) Regulations 2006 by Environmental Protection staff. Typically non-complying supplies may contain excessive concentrations of harmful bacteria or detrimental levels of chemical contaminants. Remedial works can include, for example, the installation of ultra-violet filtration systems for removal of bacteria but does not include connection to the public mains supply where this is considered appropriate.

Contact the Environmental Protection Service on 01224 523737 for details of Private Water Supplies in the Aberdeen City area.

Notes on other useful contacts

  • Aberdeen Care and Repair ( is a voluntary organisation providing free advice and technical assistance to clients about repairs and improvements in their homes. They cater for persons over the age of 60 and/or persons who suffer from some form of disability or chronic ill health.
    They offer a Handyman Service to clients and details can be obtained on Tel. 01224 251133.
    There is also the Affordable Warmth Scheme administered by Aberdeen Care and Repair which provides low interest loans for the installation of central heating and the contact is the same as above.
    Aberdeen Care & Repair also currently provide a free, confidential and personal service to help anyone in Aberdeen living with dementia to live safely in their home for longer.
  • Information on how to obtain grants for insulation works and details on energy advice issues can be obtained from:
    Aberdeen & North East Energy Efficiency Advice Centre 
    1  Cotton Street
    Freephone 0800 512012 or Tel. 01224 213005.
  • Further Information on energy saving measures i.e. insulation, energy efficient boilers and energy audits can be obtained from:
    Kevin Christie
    Senior Domestic Energy Officer
    Aberdeen City Council
    Tel. 01224 522094.
  • Owners of buildings may be able to obtain financial assistance from the Aberdeen City Heritage Trust. This could apply for example to owners of Listed buildings and buildings within Conservation Areas.
    For further information contact:
    Douglas Campbell
    Project Officer
    Tel. 01224 522755
    or visit the website:
  • General advice on property maintenance issues is contained within two pamphlets that can be obtained from the Private Sector Housing Unit at Marischal College.
    The Aberdeen Property Repair Initiative (APRI) have produced a small information pamphlet which gives general advice on how to organise works and an annual checklist on parts of your building that should be inspected regularly for repairs.
    The booklet  Common Repair. Common Sense has been produced on behalf of Communities Scotland and is a basic homeowner's guide on the management and maintenance of common property e.g. tenements.
    Copies of these pamphlets can be sent to owners on request.


  • Private Sector Housing Unit
    Communities, Housing and Infrastructure
    Aberdeen City Council
    Business Hub 1
    Lower Ground Floor West
    Marischal College
    AB10 1AB
    Phone: 01224 522299
    Fax: 01224 523278