How can we help you...

Content Related Links

Home Education

Parents are allowed to educate their children at home instead of school if they choose to do so. 

Under UK law it is education that is compulsory, not schooling, though the vast majority of parents do choose to send their children to school.

Parents of children who have attended a public school must seek the education authority's consent before withdrawing their child.

Parents are not required to seek the consent of the education authority in order to home educate their child if:

  • their child has never attended a public school
  • their child has never attended a public school in that authority's area
  • their child is being withdrawn from an independent school
  • their child has finished primary education in one school but has not started secondary education in another
  • the school the child has been attending has closed.

In the last two cases parents may simply notify the authority that they intend to home educate.

Further information on home education is available on the Scottish Government website -  Home Schooling Scottish Government


Back to the Schools, Education and Learning home page.


  • Catriona Walker
    Curriculum Team
    Education and Children’s Services
    Aberdeen City Council
    2nd Floor North (Business Hub 13)
    Marischal College
    Broad Street

    AB10 1AB
    Phone: 01224 523914

Frequently Asked Questions