How can we help you...

Licensing - Private Hire Car Driver Licence

In terms of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982, Aberdeen City Council requires all vehicles operating as a Taxi or a Private Hire Car to be licensed. Drivers of these vehicles also require to hold a separate Taxi or Private Hire Car Driver's Licence.



From 1 December 2016, the Council has a statutory duty under the Immigration Act 2016 to check and verify that every applicant has the right to live in the UK and work as a taxi driver or private hire car driver. This check must be carried out irrespective of the nationality or ethnicity of the applicant.

As part of the application process you must provide certain documents to evidence your right to live and work in the UK. If you cannot provide the required evidence your application cannot be granted. The types of document that can be accepted as evidence have been prescribed by the Home Office; the Council does not have discretion to accept documents other than those specified by the Home Office.

The document - Evidence to Support your Right to Work in the UK provides detailed guidance on this check. Please ensure you have read and understood this before submitting your application.

These checks apply to all applications including applications for renewal of existing licences. If an existing licence holder cannot provide the necessary evidence, their licence cannot be renewed.


Should you wish to lodge a complaint regarding taxis or private hire cars please contact the Litigation and Licensing Team, Legal and Democratic Services, Corporate Governance, Aberdeen City Council, Business Hub 6, Level 1 South, Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB or e-mail:

Back to the Licensing home page.


  • Licensing
    Legal Services
    Corporate Governance
    Aberdeen City Council
    Business Hub 6 L1S
    Marischal College

    AB10 1AB
    Phone: 01224 522879 or 522878

Frequently Asked Questions