Housing Benefit

To qualify for Housing Benefit, you must be:

  • on a low income, whether benefits or low paid work
  • you (and your partner) don't have more than £16,000 capital or savings, unless you are getting Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)

Housing Benefit is a 'means tested' benefit - different awards will be granted depending on your personal circumstances.

We will need to see evidence of all of your income and savings in order to complete the calculation. Other adults resident in the property are expected to contribute towards the rent, therefore your benefit may be reduced in order to accommodate this.

Home visits can be arranged for the elderly or disabled

Following the introduction of the Pension Credit on 6th October 2003, the benefit schemes are more generous for people of pensionable age. This means that more people may be eligible for Housing Benefit. If you are of pensionable age and are not in receipt of Housing Benefit, now may be the time to apply.

For further information, see the related links section below.

Benefits calculator

The Turn2us website offers help for you if you are unemployed and looking for work, on a low income, retired, bringing up children, ill, have a disability or care for someone. They have a benefits calculator to work out how much you could claim.

How to apply for Housing Benefit

Download copies of the relevant form/s from the links below:

Change of circumstance

You can report your change of circumstances online :

Change of Circumstances Form for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction

Housing Benefit backdating

It may be possible to backdate your claim for Housing Benefit and pay it from an earlier date if you have a good reason for not claiming on time. Housing Benefit can be backdated for up to three months if you are of pensionable age and one month or if you are younger than this. If you feel you have good cause for your claim/application to be backdated (for example, if you have been in hospital before claiming) then please do not hesitate to  Contact Us

Housing Benefit overpayments

You can pay back overpayments using our Housing Benefit overpayments secure payments facility.

Information you need to provide

If you are the claimant and payments are being made direct to you:

  1. Your Housing Benefit reference number
  2. Your creditor reference (this can be found on the cheque under reference number)
  3. Your National Insurance number (this is for verification only)
  4. Your bank sort code and account number

Please note that if you hold a Post Office card account into which your State Benefits are paid, these accounts do not accept BACS payments of Housing Benefit so details of an alternative bank/building society account should be provided.

If you do not have a bank/building society account, please contact the above telephone number or any of the offices below.

If you are the landlord and receiving direct payments of Housing Benefit:

  1. Your creditor reference number (this can be found on the cheque under reference number or on the landlord payment schedule)
  2. Your tenants Housing Benefit reference number (this can be found on the landlord payment schedule)
  3. Your bank sort code and account number

Local Housing Allowance

Private Housing Benefit

Aberdeen City Council has adjusted some of the dates in which the Housing Benefit payments are made for non council tenancies. Future housing benefit payments will be made on the following dates:

Period Covered Date of Payment
1 to 30 April 2017 28 April 2017
1 to 31 May 2017 31 May 2017
1 to 30 June 2017 30 June 2017
1 to 31 July 2017 28 July 2017
1 to 31 August 2017 31 August 2017
1 to 30 September 2017 29 September 2017
1 to 31 October 2017 27 October 2017
1 to 30 November 2017 30 November 2017
1 to 31 December 2017 22 December 2017 *
1 to 31 January 2018 31 January 2018
1 to 28 February 2018 28 February 2018
1 to 31 March 2018 30 March 2018

*December's payment is paid early due to the festive period.

This change has been made to meet the legislative requirement of payments being made at the end of the Housing Benefit period they relate to.

Payments of Private Housing Benefit are usually made by bank transfer (BACS). This is our preferred method of payment as it is both fast and secure because payments are made via transfer directly into your bank/building society account. This can reduce any delays that may occur with the post or waiting times for cheques to clear.

If you are currently paid by cheque and would like to have your Housing Benefit paid by BACS we will accept your bank details over the telephone. Please call our Customer Contact Centre on 03000 200 292 (lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm) to arrange for your Housing Benefit to be paid by this method.

Size criteria - social sector

The benefit cap

Discretionary Housing Payments

Council offices


Find out more about Data Protection

Do you need to talk about Council Tax or Housing Benefits?

Contact us

Would you like to give feedback about the website?